Sunday 15 March 2015

Ealry Autumn Project Update

The morning temperature has dropped to single digits, chestnuts trees are popping with bright green husks and the smell of woodsmoke is drifting in the air - yay for Autumn!  
Although I've been busily knitting and crocheting all summer (who hasn't been?!), now is really the time to get stuck in and finish some projects in time for the cooler days.
I promised my son that I'd make him a blanket this year and I am really enjoying the beginnings of this somewhat monumental project!  The pattern is called Littlefolds Boys Blanket and can be found on Ravelry here.  I've used lots of crepe yarns from the stash including some Heirloom Easy Care, Bendigo Classic and vintage crepe purchased on eBay.  The idea I had in mind was a vintage-looking, masculine blanket that my boy will enjoy now and into adulthood and he is happy with it so far (phew!).  It's a very relaxing make as it's just double crochets row after row so it's a great project for keeping the hands busy and the mind free for other things... like thinking about the next project!




A few months ago I discovered a new yen for hand dyed yarns - small batch, local, hand dyed by people with a passion for colour and yarn.  It's a lovely new obsession affection which allows me to not only support local home-based dyers but also to create real one-of-a-kind projects for my family.  As hand dyers work with such small quantities, it's not currently possible to on sell their products via our retail store but it is definitely something we are going to keep an eye on for the future!
This is my first project using hand dyed yarn - the pattern is Mud Puddles by Kelly Brooker and is available on Ravelry here.  The yarn which is taking centre stage is called Up, Up and Away and is a DK weight on sparkle base by Candy Apple Lane.  It is so beautiful to work with and that sparkle just makes me happy!  The sparkle doesn't show up well in this photo but it really is there :)

That's it for this early Autumn project update but we'll be back with more projects, products and yarny goodness soon.
Kate x

No comments:

Post a Comment